LEGO® MINDSTORMS® EV3 Flexi Class, is our popular after school enrichment program. Our Flexi Class is designed to take kids from introductory through to advanced robotics in a fun, collaborative learning environment. Kids learn the basic principles of robotics and programming using the popular LEGO® MINDSTORMS® EV3 System and learn how to design and program a robot and use motors, sensors, and attachments to make their robot perform specific tasks.
- Getting Started: Set up the robot and learn about its basic operation and maintenance.
- Using the Software: General usage patterns in the EV3 Programming Software
- Movement: Use sequential commands to make the robot move and turn.
- Sensors: Use Sensors to stop the robot in different situations.
- Decisions: Use Loops and Switches to control the program with smarter decisions.
In our LEGO® MINDSTORMS® EV3 Flexi Class kids will learn through the use of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics – STEM concepts. Teaching STEM doesn’t include a set of concrete ideas attached to a test but rather a set of benchmarks that students should be able to accomplish.
The structure of this class is to build concrete ideas based in math and science, allow them to investigate those ideas and finally using engineering and the design process to solve challenges.
For students to be successful; they must be allowed to do the following:
- Work collaboratively
- Think critically
- Explore ideas freely
- Make mistakes and be encouraged to continue investigating
- Ask questions and provided with guidance not given the answer
- Design solutions outside of the expressed rules.
This is how we crafted our class to encourage these core ideas to flourish. They will be successful and feel accomplished by the end of the session.They know that they have gained knowledge, even when it feels that they are just having fun!